Tuesday 4 October 2011

Devil Merman

This strange, devilish creature was given to me as a present, so I have no idea where it comes from or what it's meant to be. He has horns and ears, a fishtail, and a face on his torso. The three stick legs I take to be more of a stand, than a vital part of his anatomy. His arms move, and he's made of wood, with horn or bone additions.

I just googled 'devil merman' to see if that was a thing, and pleasingly, got a link to a video of Ethel Merman singing 'There's No Business Like Show Business'. However, a few devil mermen are out there, in Mexican folk art and so on, so maybe he's Mexican.

I suppose it says a lot about me that a friend would give me this as a present, and know that I would really like it...

2 comments:

Eartha Kitsch said...

That's wild! I also wonder where it came from.

Kitsch and Curious said...

I'll let you know if I ever find out!