Thursday 13 October 2011

Two Little Pigs

Cheap plastic toys in badly printed packaging will always find a home with me. I know I'm not the only person to have a packet of these pigs, as they are available from International Quality Kitsch, a familiar seller at vintage fairs.

The pigs themselves are fine examples of poor quality vintage toys, with their laughable hats and insane eyes, although personally, I question their dress etiquette.(A tie may be optional, but trousers are de rigueur, surely?)  However, the packaging is even odder, I think.

Let's look closely... 
What on earth is supposed to be going here? Under a palm tree, there is a snow-covered sign for the outdoor toy stall, where a wolf (?) dressed as an American soda jerk is selling what looks like an iron(?) to a rabbit and a ...? Nope, I cannot figure out the animal on the left. A dog's tail, maybe, but the head is just freaky. The happy mouse and the parrot are positively normal by comparison.

1 comment:

Jane Housham said...

Ah yes, beloved piggies. I share all your feelings about the packaging. I really like the quality (or lack of) of the printing. Nice textures and mis-aligned shapes.