Tuesday 24 January 2012

A Difficult Case

Do you think we are influenced by the toys and other objects around us when we are young? I think we must be, but I often hope not, when I see some of the grotesque stuff that gets foisted on children.

Twas ever thus. Let's just take a better look at the truly nasty illustration on this vintage child's suitcase.
Had a good look? I have been sitting here for several minutes wondering where to start. Really. I mean, really. It's just so...

No, it's no good. I can't bring myself to comment on it.  As an image of girlhood, it leaves much to be desired. The trouble is, and here is where I feel very conflicted, I know some people think this is really cute. In fact, I sold this case to a collector in Canada. 

That's the thing about kitsch, one woman's lovely is another woman's loathsome. This is just as well or I'd never be able to part with anything.

1 comment:

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

I'm guessing she's supposed to be singing, but really, it looks like she's dealing with her incipient beard with her dad's shaver. All kinds of wrong.