Monday 9 January 2012

Ibiza Soundtrack

It's the traditional time of year for all those holiday adverts on the telly, although I think the idea of booking a sunny summer holiday in January is probably a bit old-fashioned now. We're all far more likely to be contemplating a 'romantic mini-break' in Berlin or a hen weekend in Prague. Or staying at home and worrying about your carbon footprint/recession. And if anyone mentions Ibiza, you are not going to think of picturesque fishing villages.

But this LP goes back to the time when an album of songs to remind you of your holiday in Ibiza was not about house, trance or techno. (In an attempt to appear hip, I actually tried to look up music genres, to see if I could find anything that would make it sound as if I knew what I was talking about. Confronted with this list, I soon gave up. I feel very old now.)

But it was not all Spanish folk songs, even back then, as, top of the list of tracks, we see 'Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep'. All together now! "Where's your mama gone? ..."

No comments: