Monday 23 January 2012

Pope Pen

I got this pen in Rome, and as far as I am aware, it was intended as a genuine souvenir for Pope fans.

Yes, it's a floating Pope pen. As you tip it up and down, 'il Papa' glides smoothly across the facade of St Peter's.




I'm not entirely clear why anyone would choose a floating pen to honour the Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, and Sovereign of the State of Vatican City (or Benny to his friends). But, hey, why not?

As you might guess, I am a sucker for pens like this, and I find I am gathering quite a collection of pens where strange people or things float up and down.

Let's be grateful this one isn't like those ones where the man's underpants fall off.

Oh, haven't you got one of those? Just me, then.

2 comments:

Jane Housham said...

Hello again, my twin of kitsch. Need I say I also love the floating pens? You got to the joke about the underpants before me!

menopausalmusing said...

I left a comment yesterday re this pen......... but I don't think it published....... sigh......

It's a beauty!!! Those pens with pants that fall off are still being produced. (I thought they were things of the 50's/sixties). I went looking for them whilst doing the postcard project - had thought of using one for the "Concealment And Revelation" themed card.