Wednesday 4 January 2012

The Readiest Road to Health


Today, I have a couple of suggestions to help you keep that 'keep fit' resolution. These advertisements both date from 1896, and I got them both as mounted prints many years ago.

No need to join an expensive gym, when you can try 'Road Skating'. I'm thankful there is a 'Practising Saloon for Ladies'. I wouldn't want any gentlemen to see me on those contraptions!




But perhaps it is would be more decorous to follow the example of H.R.H. the Princess of Wales, and go for a quick trot, canter and gallop in the privacy of your own drawing room.

Judging from the picture below, you can exercise on Vigor's Horse-Action Saddle without even having to undo your coat buttons. How extremely civilised.

1 comment:

Jane Housham said...

You have brightened my day (again). I would like to say I'd love a go on the mechanical horse but it might not be at all seemly to say so. I love rollerskating and have a pair of 80s monsters which my children pay me not to put on.