Tuesday 27 March 2012

Japanese Pose Doll

Have you ever heard of pose dolls? They are one of the kitschest types of doll around and definitely curious too. I wrote a blog a few years ago about how I started to get interested in them. They were usually made in Japan, and I think that probably explains their weirdness. (If you want to see some of the different kinds there are lots of collectors putting their photos on Flickr.)

To me, this is one of the weirder ones (although to collectors she's very cute and lovely, believe it or not). I find the arrangment of her features... well... disturbing, quite frankly. To start with, her mouth is on the same level as her eyes, and she has no discernible nose. Then there are her eyebrows - green dots more than halfway up her forehead. She also has no hands or feet, poor stumpy thing. And given that she's black, her yellow wool hair is not exactly natural, but really that's the least of her problems.
However, there's a happy ending to her story. After she left me, she went to Canada and took up a career in modelling. It's true!

1 comment:

Jane Housham said...

This is the sort of doll you always seem to see on the shelves in REALLY COOL kitchens in Copenhagen or Oslo (only seen via magazines/books, you understand). I like her -- I liked the prints she was in too, very eyepopping.